The UPSC syllabus for Prelims elaborates as “Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.”. The Constitution is the most important topic under the Indian Polity. Apart from this, the students should also study new bills, laws, governance issues, etc.
Indian Constitution (basics):
- Historical Background Of The Indian Constitution
- Making Of The Constitution
- Source Of The Indian Constitution
- Salient Features Of The Constitution
- Indian Constitution Parts and Articles.
- Parts of Indian Constitution: A brief overview.
- Schedules of Indian Constitution: A brief overview.
- Must-Know Articles of Indian Constitution: A brief overview.
- List of amendments to the Constitution of India
- Comparison of Indian Constitutional Scheme with other countries
Indian Constitution (Topics in the same order):
- The preamble of the Constitution
- Union And Its Territories
- Fundamental Rights
- DPSP (Directive Principles of State Policy)
- Fundamental Duties
- Vice President
- Prime Minister
- Council Of Ministers – State
- Parliament: Rajya Sabha
- Parliament: Lok Sabha
- Supreme Court of India: Powers and Jurisdiction
- The Chief Minister & CoM
- State Legislature: High Court
– Parliamentary Committees
– NITI Aayog
– National Development Council
Policies, Bills and Acts (Statutes)
– Major Tribes in India: State-wise compilation.
- Emergency Provisions
- Election Commission
- Official Language (National Language ?)
- Amendment Of The Constitution
- Zonal Councils
- Central Vigilance Commission
Indian Polity Quiz & Questions
- Preamble And Evolution Of Indian Constitution
- Fundamental Rights (FRs)
- Directive Principles Of State Policy (DPSP)
- Fundamental Duties (FDs)
- Union / Central Government
- State Government
- Constitutional Provisions For SCs And STs, Women, Children, And OBCs
- Emergency Provisions
- Electoral Process
Books to Study Indian Polity
- Indian Polity for Civil Services Examinations by M. Laxmikanth is the most preferred books by students for all stages of competitive examinations in India.
- Introduction to the Constitution of India by Durga Das Basu – A much more authoritative text on Indian polity. Good reference material for Supreme Court judgments, but beginners may find it tough.
- Our Parliament by Subhash Kashyap.
- India Year Book.
- Class 11 & 12 NCERT textbook of Political Science, especially, the “Indian Constitution at work”.