The Government of India will be launching a scheme for providing Physical Aids and Assisted-living Devices for Senior citizens belonging to BPL category. The scheme is named as “Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana”. This scheme is scheduled to be launched on 1st April 2017 in Nellore district of Andhra Pradesh state.
The Scheme aims at providing Senior Citizens, belonging to BPL category and suffering from any of the age-related disability/infirmity viz. Low vision, Hearing impairment, Loss of teeth and Locomotor disability, with such assisted-living devices which can restore near normalcy in their bodily functions, overcoming the disability/infirmity manifested. The assistive devices shall be of high quality and conforming to the standards laid down by the Bureau of Indian Standards, wherever applicable. The expenditure for implementation of the scheme will be met from the “Senior Citizens’ Welfare Fund”.
The Physical Aids and Assisted-living Devices for Senior citizens will be distributed in Camp mode through the sole implementing agency, ‘Artificial Limbs Manufacturing Corporation (ALIMCO)‘, (a PSU under M/o SJ&E). The ambitious Scheme is first of its kind in the country and is expected to benefit 5,20,000 Senior Citizens over a period of next 3 years.
The current population of senior citizens in India is 10.38 crore, and more than 70% of the population of senior citizens live in rural areas of the country. A sizeable percentage (5.2%) of the senior citizens suffers from some sort of disabilities related to old age.
Under the Scheme, the following Aids and Assisted-Living Devices will be provided to eligible elderly beneficiary senior citizens, depending upon their physical impairment:-
- Walking sticks
- Elbow crutches
- Walkers / Crutches
- Tripods / Quadpods
- Hearing Aids
- Artificial Dentures
Salient features of the Scheme are as under:
- Free of cost distribution of the devices, commensurate with the extent of disability/infirmity that is manifested among the eligible senior citizens.
- In the case of multiple disabilities/infirmities manifested in the same person, the assistive devices will be given in respect of each disability/impairment.
- The devices will help the Senior Citizens to overcome their age-related physical impairment and to lead a dignified and productive life with minimal dependence on caregivers or other members of the family.
- The Scheme will be implemented through the sole implementing agency, ‘Artificial Limbs Manufacturing Corporation (ALIMCO)’, (a PSU under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment).
- ALIMCO will undertake one-year free maintenance of the aids & assisted living devices.
- Beneficiaries in each district will be identified by the State Governments/UT Administrations through a Committee chaired by the Deputy Commissioner/District Collector.
- As far as possible, 30% of the beneficiaries in each district shall be women.
- The State Government/UT Administration/District Level Committee can also utilise the data of BPL beneficiaries receiving Old Age Pension under the NSAP or any other Scheme of the State/UT for identification of senior citizens belonging to BPL category.
- The devices will be distributed in Camp mode.
- The expected financial outlay over the next three years (i.e. up to 2019-20) is Rs. 483.6 Crores.
|S. No||State / UT||District|
|1.||Andaman and Nicobar Islands||South Andaman, Middle & North Andaman|
|2.||Andhra Pradesh||Vishakhapatnam, Nellore|
|3.||Arunachal Pradesh||West Kameng, Pasinghat|
|5.||Bihar||Buxar, West Champaran|
|8.||Dadra and Nagar Haveli||Dadra and Nagar Haveli|
|9.||Daman and Diu||Daman and Diu|
|10.||Goa||North Goa, South Goa|
|13.||Himachal Pradesh||Shimla, Hamirpur|
|14.||Jammu and Kashmir||Srinagar, Udhampur|
|16.||Karnataka||South Bangalore, Dharwad|
|18.||Madhya Pradesh||Khandwa, Ujjain|
|20.||Delhi||Karol Bagh, Chandni Chowk|
|24.||Tamil Nadu||Kanyakumari, South Chennai|
|26.||Uttar Pradesh||Lucknow, Varanasi|
|28.||West Bengal||Asansol, Darjeeling|
|29.||Manipur||Imphal (West), Imphal (East)|
|30.||Meghalaya||East Jaintia Hills, Ri Bhoi|
|36.||Sikkim||East Sikkim, South Sikkim|