On January 26, 1950, India became the Independent Sovereign Democratic Republic with its own Constitution. The Constitution of Independent India that came into being that day was the culmination of a journey that had begun during the first war of Independence in 1857 when Indian soldiers (rebelling against British colonial rule) attempted to frame their own Constitution.
Later, during the freedom movement of the early 20th century, a seminal attempt to create a Constitution was made under the leadership of Mahatma Gandhi. Eventually, a Constituent Assembly consisting of about 300 men and women representing various shades of political opinion and different parts of the country congregated in the Central Hall of Parliament on December 9, 1946. Their task was to frame a Constitution for a free India. The Assembly took close to three years to create the Constitution that defines and guides our nation today.
The story of making Independent India’s Constitution is full of drama and excitement. It took place during momentous times that changed the political contours of South Asia. It was a near-impossible task of transforming a diverse, heterogeneous country into a unified nation.
Samvidhaan is the untold story of how the Constitution of the largest Democratic Republic in the world was created.
Other Videos in this series:
- Samvidhaan: The Making of the Constitution of India (Rajya Sabha TV)
- Independence: A Divided Legacy (Samvidhaan – Episode 2/10)
- Independent India: Righting Fundamental Wrongs with Fundamental Rights (Samvidhaan – Episode 3/10)
- People’s Rights, Principles of Governance and Duties (Samvidhaan – Episode 4/10)
- Strengthening The Weak: Minority, Women and Backward Rights (Samvidhaan – Episode 5/10)
- Whose Land is it?: Land Reforms and Acquisition (Samvidhaan – Episode 6/10)
- Link Language: Hindi or Hindustani (Samvidhaan – Episode 7/10)
- Federalism: Linking the States and the Centre (Samvidhaan – Episode 8/10)
- Three Pillars: Executive, Legislature, Judiciary (Samvidhaan – Episode 9/10)
- From Preamble to the Final Draft and beyond (Samvidhaan – Episode 10/10)
Indian Constitution (basics):
- Historical Background Of The Indian Constitution
- Making Of The Constitution
- Source Of The Indian Constitution
- Salient Features Of The Constitution
- Indian Constitution Parts and Articles.
- Parts of Indian Constitution: A brief overview.
- Schedules of Indian Constitution: A brief overview.
- Must-Know Articles of Indian Constitution: A brief overview.
- List of amendments to the Constitution of India
- Comparison of Indian Constitutional Scheme with other countries
Indian Constitution (Topics in the same order):
- The preamble of the Constitution
- Union And Its Territories
- Fundamental Rights
- DPSP (Directive Principles of State Policy)
- Fundamental Duties
- Vice President
- Prime Minister
- Council Of Ministers – State
- Parliament: Rajya Sabha
- Parliament: Lok Sabha
- Supreme Court of India: Powers and Jurisdiction
- The Chief Minister & CoM
- State Legislature: High Court