This Day in History on 05 June
On this page, we will list all historical events that have occurred on 5th June. The students can refer them while preparing for all competitive exams and banking exams.
- Indian Arrival Day (Suriname)
- 1659: Dara Shukoh celebrated his coronation at Deorai after the final defeat.
- 1882: Cyclonic Storm & floods in Arabian Sea hit Bombay. About 100,000 people drowned.
- 1974: Smallpox epidemic in the country.
- 1980: Manipur University was established.
- 1984: Operation ‘Blue Star’ was launched by Indira Gandhi. Indian commandos stormed into Sikh’s holiest gurudwara Golden Temple in Amritsar to flush out the terrorists and other anti-government elements. Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale and over 325 people were killed in the temple. Thus a great rebel arose all over the nation and especially in Punjab.
- 1989: Missile `Trishul’ tested successfully.
- 1994: India test-fires a missile capable of reaching targets in China
- 1995: A three-week long, the first ever Indo-US joint army training exercise begins.
- 1995: Manmohan Singh re-elected to Rajya Sabha from Assam.
- 1997: Brahmapuram diesel power project, KSEB’s first thermal power project, situated 25 km from Kochi, Kerala commissioned.
- 1998: Ali Sardar Jafri, Urdu writer, is presented the Jnanpeeth award for 1997.
Birthday / Anniversary:
- 1879: Narayan Malhar Joshi, father of Labour Union
Movement in India was born at Goregaon in the Kolaba district, Maharashtra.
- 1896: Muhammad Ismail Sahib, president of the Madras State Muslim League and freedom fighter, was born at Pettai, Tamil Nadu. He was the member of Rajya Sabha as well as Lok Sabha.
- 1923: Santosh Kumar Kisku Rev, a great educationist, and the social worker were born.
- 1927: Sarjit Singh Bal, the educationist, was born in RenalaKhurd, Punjab.
- 1929: S.V. Subramanian, great Hindi writer, was born at Virakeralanpudur, Tamil Nadu.
- 1961: Ramesh Krishnan, Indian tennis star, was born. He was also the winner of Junior Wimbledon 1979.
- 1972: Yogi Adityanath, Indian priest, and politician
Death / Death Anniversary:
1973: Madhav Sadashiv Golvalkar, politician, and RSS chief, passed away.
- 1975: Ramsing, great freedom fighter and editor of `Navyug Patrika’, passed away.
- 1996: Acharya Kuber Nath Rai, Indian poet, and scholar (b. 1933)