This Day in History on 5 JuneThe historical events hold a lot of value for aspirants who are sitting for UPSC competitive exams including that of the IAS Exam.
On this page, we will list all historical events that have occurred on 5 June. The students can refer them while preparing for all competitive exams and banking exams.
- Indian Arrival Day (Suriname)
- 1659: Dara Shukoh celebrated his coronation at Deorai after the final defeat.
- 1882: Cyclonic Storm & floods in Arabian Sea hit Bombay. About 100,000 people drowned.
- 1974: Smallpox epidemic in the country.
- 1980: Manipur University was established.
- 1984: Operation ‘Blue Star’ was launched by Indira Gandhi. Indian commandos stormed into Sikh’s holiest gurudwara Golden Temple in Amritsar to flush out the terrorists and other anti-government elements. Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale and over 325 people were killed in the temple. Thus a great rebel arose all over the nation and especially in Punjab.
- 1989: Missile `Trishul’ tested successfully.
- 1994: India test-fires a missile capable of reaching targets in China
- 1995: A three-week long, the first ever Indo-US joint army training exercise begins.
- 1995: Manmohan Singh re-elected to Rajya Sabha from Assam.
- 1997: Brahmapuram diesel power project, KSEB’s first thermal power project, situated 25 km from Kochi, Kerala commissioned.
- 1998: Ali Sardar Jafri, Urdu writer, is presented the Jnanpeeth award for 1997.
Birthday / Anniversary:
- 1879: Narayan Malhar Joshi, father of Labour Union
Movement in India was born at Goregaon in the Kolaba district, Maharashtra.
Death / Death Anniversary:
1973: Madhav Sadashiv Golvalkar, politician, and RSS chief, passed away.