This Day in History on 26th April
The historical events hold a lot of value for aspirants who are sitting for UPSC competitive exams including that of the IAS Exam.
On this page, we will list all historical events that have occurred on 26th April. The students can refer them while preparing for all competitive exams and banking exams.
- Union Day (Tanzania)
- 1964: Tanganyika and Zanzibar merge to form Tanzania.
- 1933: The Gestapo, the official secret police force of Nazi Germany, is established.
- 2002: Robert Steinhäuser kills 16 at Gutenberg-Gymnasium in Erfurt, Germany before dying of a self-inflicted gunshot.
Birthday / Anniversary:
- 121: Marcus Aurelius, Roman emperor (d. 180)
- 1479: Vallabhachary
- 1648: Peter II of Portugal (d. 1706)
- 1894: Rudolf Hess, Egyptian-German politician (d. 1987)
- 1900: Charles Francis Richter, American seismologist and physicist (d. 1985)
- 1908: Sarv Mittra Sikri, 13th Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of India
- 1917: I. M. Pei, Chinese-American architect, designed the National Gallery of Art and Bank of China Tower
- 1963: Jet Li, Chinese-Singaporean martial artist, actor, and producer
Death / Death Anniversary:
- 1192: Emperor Go-Shirakawa of Japan (b. 1127)
- 1489: Ashikaga Yoshihisa, Japanese shogun (b. 1465)
- 1920: Srinivasa Ramanujan, Indian mathematician and theorist (b. 1887)
- 1924: Ramabai Mahadev Ranade