This Day in History on 2nd June
The historical events hold a lot of value for aspirants who are sitting for UPSC competitive exams including that of the IAS Exam.
On this page, we will list all historical events that have occurred on 2nd June. The students can refer them while preparing for all competitive exams and banking exams.
- Children’s Day (North Korea)
- 1756: Fort William, the English stronghold in Bengal, was surrendered
1908: Sri Aurobindo, freedom fighter, was arrested in Manik Tala Bomb explosion case.
1975: India’s First Spunge Iron project inaugurated at Vijaywada.
1984: Army takes control in Punjab as 22 people are killed in Sikh struggle for autonomy. The state is declared a restricted area under the Foreigners’ Act.
1986: One thousand Sikhs arrested at demonstrations in Punjab.
1990: Union Government set up a tribunal to settle the Cauvery water issue between Tamil Nadu & Karnataka.
1924: U.S. President Calvin Coolidge signs the Indian Citizenship Act into law, granting citizenship to all Native Americans born within the territorial limits of the United States.
Birthday / Anniversary:
- 1955: Nandan Nilekani, the Indian businessman, co-founded Infosys
- 1955: Mani Ratnam, Indian director, producer, andscreenwriter
- 1963: Anand Abhyankar, Indian actor (d. 2012)
Death / Death Anniversary:
- 1900: Sri Ram Sharma Acharya, freedom fighter, social reformer and leader, passed away.
- 1975: Devendra Mohan Bose, famous Scientist of Physics, passed away
- 1988: Raj Kapoor, famous film actor, director and Dadasaheb Phalke awardee, passed away.
1987: Anthony de Mello, Indian-American priest and psychotherapist (b. 1931)
2014: Anjan Das, Indian director, and producer (b. 1951)
2014: Duraisamy Simon Lourdusamy, Indian cardinal (b. 1924)
Month-wise This Day in History