This Day in History on 01 June
On this page, we will list all historical events that have occurred on 1st June. The students can refer them while preparing for all competitive exams and banking exams.
- Mother’s and Children’s Day (Mongolia)
- Global Day of Parents (international)
- Victory Day (Tunisia)
- World Milk Day (International)
- 1676: The Swedish warship Kronan one of the largest ships in the world of its time, sank at the Battle of Öland with a loss of around 800 men.
- 1831: British naval officer and explorer James Clark Ross successfully led the first expedition to reach the North Magnetic Pole.
- 1980: CNN was launched as the first television network to provide 24-hour television news coverage.
- 1786: Madras General Post Office started functioning.
- 1790: A treaty was signed between Marathas, Britishers and Nizam.
- 1819: William Carey, Ward and Marshman established the Serampore College in Bengal.
- 1874: East India Company was dissolved.
- 1904: Four Language panel were used for Rangoon. This panel had languages namely Burmese, Urdu, Tamil and Chinese.
- 1916: Lokmanya Tilak roared ”Freedom is by birthright” at Ahmednagar.
- 1930: First Indian luxurious fast train ‘Deccan Queen’ started from Victoria Terminus (CST) to Pune.
- 1933: Fortnightly ‘Bal Sanmitra’ was published.
- 1945: Tata Fundamental Research Institute was established.
- 1959: The Chinese occupy Tibet and Dalai Lama flees to India.
- 1959: N.G. Ranga resigned from the Indian National Congress and took up the leadership of the newly formed Swatantra Party.
- 1998: The Prasar Bharati Bill is introduced in the Lok Sabha to revive the Prasar Bharati Act, 1990.
Birthday / Anniversary:
- 1929: Nargis, Indian actress (d. 1981)
- 1985: Dinesh Karthik, Indian cricketer
1970: Ranganathan Madhavan is an Indian actor, writer and film producer
- 1842: Satyendranath Tagore, Bengali officer and litterateur, was born.
- 1890: Sri Seeripi Anjaneyulu, journalist, social reformer and educationist, was born at Dharmavaram, Anantapur.
- 1927: Justice Savyasachi Mukherjee was born.
- 1930: Baba Adhav was born.
- 1947: Balbhimraj Gore, litterateur and Hindi critic, was born.
- 1955: India’s Untouchability (Offence) Act comes into force.
Death / Death Anniversary:
- 1830: Swaminarayan, Indian religious leader (b. 1781)
- 1996: Neelam Sanjiva Reddy, Indian politician, 6th President of India (b. 1913)
- 1944: M. V. Dhurandhar, famous master painter of Maharashtra, passed away.
- 1944: Liladhar Jagudi, well known Hindi poet, passed away.