This Day in History on 31st May
On this page, we will list all historical events that have occurred on 31st May. The students can refer them while preparing for all competitive exams and banking exams.
- World No Tobacco Day (International)
- 1818: Samachar Darpan, the first vernacular newspaper, was published in Bengali language by Carey and Marshman from Serampore.
- 1891: Buddhagaya Mahabodhi Society, an organization to encourage Buddhist studies in India and abroad, was established by a Buddhist monk Anagarika Dharmapala.
- 1947: Gandhiji declares that peace must precede partition, and he would not be party to India’s vivisection.
- 1970: Indira Gandhi called for international help as the civil war in Bangladesh, or East Pakistan, had turned two million people into refugees. Many of them were suffering from cholera and smallpox. The authorities of West Pakistan refused to care for them, and India couldn’t afford to.
- 1977: Major Premchand and Naik Nima Dorji Sherpa, in the team on Indian Army Treckers, reached the peak of Kanchenjunga. They were amongst the first Indians to reach this peak.
- 1981: First developmental launch of SLV-3, Rohini (RS-D1) placed in orbit. It was used for conducting some remote sensing technology studies using a landmark sensor payload.
- 1987: Daman and Diu to remain as union territories after Goa becomes the 25th state of India.
- 1995: Statute Bill, a constitutional amendment bill, introduced in Lok Sabha to extend reservation in jobs and in promotion for SCs and STs.
Birthday / Anniversary:
- 1756: Jose Cusodio Faria was born in Candolim of Goa. He was a revolutionary scientist and also known as Abbe Faria.
- 1928: Pankaj Khirod Roy, cricketer (Indian opener, 413 partnership w/Vinoo Mankad), was born in Calcutta. He was the recipient of Padmashree (1975).
Death / Death Anniversary:
- 1921: Suresh Hariprasad Joshi, modern Gujarati poet, story writer, and critic, was born.
- 1973: Mohan Kumaramangalam, Central Minister, died in an air crash near Delhi.
- 1988: Dwarika Prasad Mishra, former Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh, passed away.
- 1994: Pandit Samtaprasad, famous Tabla player, passed away.
- 1987: John Abraham, Indian director, and screenwriter (b. 1937)
- 2002: Subhash Gupte, Indian cricketer (b. 1929)
- 2014: Brajanath Ratha, Indian poet and author (b. 1936)
- 1874: Bhau Daji Lad (Ramachandra Vitthal Lad