This Day in History on 23rd March
The historical events hold a lot of value for aspirants who are sitting for UPSC competitive exams including that of the IAS Exam.
On this page, we will list all historical events that have occurred on 23rd March. The students can refer them while preparing for all competitive exams and banking exams.
- World Tuberculosis Day: This day is celebrated to commemorate the day in 1882 when Dr. Robert Koch discovered the TB bacillus.
- Martyrs Memorial Day: on the death anniversary of Bhagat Singh in 1931
- Pakistan Resolution Day, also known as Republic Day or just Pakistan Day
- 1931: Bhagat Singh, Shivaram Rajguru and Sukhdev Thapar are hanged for the killing of a deputy superintendent of police during the Indian struggle for independence.
- 1956: Pakistan becomes the first Islamic republic in the world. (Republic Day in Pakistan)
- 1940: The Lahore Resolution (Qarardad-e-Pakistan or Qarardad-e-Lahore) is put forward at the Annual General Convention of the All-India Muslim League.
- 1980: Prakash Padukone was the first Indian who won the All England Championships.
Birthday / Anniversary:
- 1910: Ram Manohar Lohia
- 1926: Ravindra Pinge, a Marathi writer
- 1968: Michael Andrew Atherton OBE (born 23 March 1968) is a broadcaster, journalist and retired England international cricketer
- 1953: Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw is an Indian entrepreneur. She is the chairman and managing director of Biocon Limited, a biotechnology company based in Bangalore (Bengaluru), India
- 1931: Viktor Korchnoi, was a Soviet (until 1976) and Swiss (since 1994) chess grandmaster and writer
- 1893: Gopalswamy Doraiswamy Naidu, Indian engineer and businessman (d. 1974)
- 1901: Bon Maharaja, Indian guru and religious writer (d. 1982)
- 1976: Smriti Irani, Indian actress, producer and politician.
Death / Death Anniversary:
- 1931: Shivaram Rajguru, Indian activist (b. 1908)
- 1931: Bhagat Singh, Indian activist (b. 1907)
- 1931: Sukhdev Thapar, Indian activist (b. 1907)
- 1991: Parkash Singh, Indian soldier, Victoria Cross recipient (b. 1913)