This Day in History on 19th April
The historical events hold a lot of value for aspirants who are sitting for UPSC competitive exams including that of the IAS Exam.
On this page, we will list all historical events that have occurred on 19th April. The students can refer them while preparing for all competitive exams and banking exams.
- 1451: Buhlul Khan Lodi, an Afghan of Lodi tribe, marched down upon Delhi.
- 1950: Shyama Prasad Mukherji resigned. He was the first Minister of Central Cabinet.
- 1960: Meeting of Afro-Asian Conference at New Delhi.
- 1975: First Indian Satellite ”Aryabhata” launched. The Satellite provided technological experience in building and operating a satellite system. It was launched by Russian launch vehicle Intercosmos.
- 1976: Maharshi Dayanand University established in Haryana.
- 1976: Indira Gandhi proposes a resumption of ties with Pakistan in New Delhi.
- 1981: Indira Gandhi,Prime Minister, inaugurated `Maharashtra Vidhanbhavan’.
- 1993: Sanjay Dutt, film star, was held under TADA for possessing an AK-56 rifle.
- 1995: Gopala Ramanujam,Goa Governor, takes up additional charge of Kerala.
- 1995: Rajendra Kumari Bajpai appointed the Lt. Governor of Pondichery.
- 1997: I.K. Gujral, External Affairs Minister, chosen leader of United Front in place of Deve Gowda.
- 1998: Kottayam in Kerala becomes the first district in India to complete computerisation of the talluk offices connecting them with the district headquarters.
- 1998: Jayalalitha, AIADMK leader, demands that all ”tainted leaders” be dropped by the Vajpayee Government or that Sedapatti R. Muthiah be taken back.
Birthday / Anniversary:
- 1897: Peter de Noronha, Indian businessman and philanthropist (d. 1970)
- 1977: Anju Bobby George, Indian long jumper
Death / Death Anniversary:
- 1910: Anant Laxman Kanhere, revolutionary, was hanged.
- 1994: Rajindersing Sparo, first awardee of `Mahavir Chakra’ and former Chief Minister of Punjab Major General, passed away.
- 1629: Sigismondo d’India, Italian composer (b. 1582)
- 1955: Jim Corbett, Indian colonel, hunter, and author (b. 1875)
- 2013: Sivanthi Adithan, Indian businessman (b. 1936)