This Day in History on 16 April
On this page, we will list all historical events that have occurred on 16th April. The students can refer them while preparing for all competitive exams and banking exams.
- World Voice Day
- 1853: The first passenger rail opens in India, from Bori Bunder, Bombay to Thane.
- 1919: Mohandas Gandhi organizes a day of “prayer and fasting” in response to the killing of Indian protesters in the Jallianwala Bagh massacre by the British colonial troops three days earlier.
- 2001: India and Bangladesh begin a five-day border conflict, but are unable to resolve the disputes about their border.
Birthday / Anniversary:
- 1848: Kandukuri Veeresalingam, Indian author and activist (d. 1919)
- 1924: Madanjeet Singh, Indian diplomat, author, and philanthropist (d. 2013)
- 1961: Jarbom Gamlin, Indian lawyer and politician, 7th Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh (d. 2014)