This Day in History on 15th May
The historical events hold a lot of value for aspirants who are sitting for UPSC competitive exams including that of the IAS Exam.
On this page, we will list all historical events that have occurred on 15th May. The students can refer them while preparing for all competitive exams and banking exams.
- Mother’s Day (Paraguay)
- Army Day (Slovenia)
- Teachers’ Day (Colombia, Mexico and South Korea
- International Day of Families (International)
- 1850: The Bloody Island massacre takes place in Lake County, California, in which a large number of Pomo Indians are slaughtered by a regiment of the United States Cavalry.
- 1873: The proposal to dissolve East India Company was passed in England.
- 1878: Sivnath Shastri and Ananda Mohan Bose, under the leadership of the younger group of Brahmo Sama, rebelled and started Sadharan Brahmo Samaj.
- 1949: Matsya Union formally merged with Greater Rajasthan.
- 1958: Aruna Asaf Ali became the Mayor of Delhi.
- 1958: Gift Tax Act was introduced.
- 1998: Pandit Ravi Shankar, Sitar maestro, receives the 1998 Polar music award.
- 1999: The BJP and at least 13 of its allies rename themselves the National Democratic Alliance.
Birthday / Anniversary:
- 1817: Maharshi Devendranath Tagore, the Bengali social reformer and father of Rabindranath Tagore, was born.
- 1864: Mahavirprasad Dvivedi, famous Hindi litterateur, poet, writer and editor, was born in Daulatpur village in UP.
- 1907: Sukhdev Thapar, Indian activist (d. 1931)
- 1967: Madhuri Dixit-Nene, Indian Actress.
Death / Death Anniversary:
- 1729: Khanderao Dabhade, a great warrior in Maratha kingdom, passed away.
- 1993: K.M. Cariappa, field marshal and Major General, passed away at the age of 93.