This Day in History on 13th May
On this page, we will list all historical events that have occurred on 13th May. The students can refer them while preparing for all competitive exams and banking exams.
- Rotuma Day (Rotuma)
- 1648: Construction of the Red Fort at Dehli was completed.
- 1791: Lord Cornwallis retreated back to Madras after the battle of Arikera.
- 1949: Maharashtra Granthalay Sangh was established.
- 1952: Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru again becomes the Prime Minister of India and forms a new union ministry.
- 1953: The first Indian Navy air station INS Garuda was commissioned at Venduruthy, the naval base in Cochin.
- 1956: Acharya Vinoba Bhave started the Bhoodan campaign in Tiruvellore.
- 1962: Bharat Ratna, India’s highest award, was given to Dr. Rajendra Prasad (1884-1963).
- 1962: Dr. Rajendra Prasad (1884-1963) retired from the post of first President.
- 1962: Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan (1888-1975) became the second President of India. He held this office till May 13, 1967.
- 1962: Dr. Zakir Hussain became the Vice President (1962-67).
- 1967: Dr Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan (1888-1975) retired from the post of second President.
- 1967: Dr Zakhir Hussain became 3rd President of India. He was the first Muslim President of Indian Union. He held this position till August 24, 1969.
- 1971: General Insurance nationalised.
- 1994: Telecom sector opened to private companies under the new national policy announced in Parliament.
- 1997: Doordarshan drops plans to enter the direct-to-home (DTH) mode of television transmission.
- 1998: India carries out two more nuclear tests at Pokharan in Rajasthan.
- 2000: Lara Dutta (21), who said beauty pageants give women a platform to ”voice our choices and opinions” is named Miss Universe 2000 in the Cyprus capital Nicosia.
Birthday / Anniversary:
- 1857: Sir Ronald Ross, bacteriologist, a member of Indian Medical service, Nobel awardee and editor of ‘Science Progress’, was born at Almora, UP.
- 1883: Henk JFM Sneevliet, leader RSAP/editor Spartacus (Dutch-Indies), was born.
- 1905: Fakruddin Ali Ahmed, the fifth President of India, was born in Delhi.
- 1916: Vasudev Mahadev Salgaonkar, the great Industrialist, was born.
- 1916: Sachidananda Routray, Indian Oriya-language poet (d. 2004)
- 1918: Balasaraswati, Indian dancer and instructor (d. 1984)
- 1951: Anand Modak, Indian composer and director (d. 2014)
- 1984: Benny Dayal, Indian singer
- 1923: Moinul Haque Choudhury, the social reformer and politician, was born at Sonabarighat (Assam).
Death / Death Anniversary:
- 1947: Sukanta Bhattacharya, Indian poet and playwright (b. 1926)
- 2013: Jagdish Mali, Indian photographer (b. 1954)