This Day in History on 12 June
On this page, we will list all historical events that have occurred on 12th June. The students can refer them while preparing for all competitive exams and banking exams.
- 1758: French and Indian War: Siege of Louisbourg: James Wolfe’s attack at Louisbourg, Nova Scotia commences.
- 1891: Gandhiji sailed for India and reached in July.
- 1897: Possibly the most severe quake in history strikes Assam, shock waves felt over an area size of Europe (negligible death toll).
- 1947: Gandhiji addresses Congress Working Committee.
- 1952: J&K Assembly decided to terminate hereditary monarchy.
- 1960: 783 Sikhs are arrested while demonstrating for an independent Sikh state in New Delhi.
- 1975: Allahabad court voids Indira Gandhi’s election as premier, citing corruption at New Delhi.
- 1990: Indian National Satellite (INSAT-1D) launched. This is an operational multi-purpose communication and meteorology satellite. It is still in service. It was launched by US Delta launch vehicle, Kennedy Space Centre in Florida, USA.
- 1996: India’s new prime minister H. D. Deve Gowda wins vote of confidence in the Lok Sabha and will rule as head of the United Front coalition.
- 1997: Jain hawala case dropped against former ministers Kamal Nath, B.D. Dhakne, Chand Ram and Bhuta Singh.
- 1997: Sitaram Kesri elected president of Congress I (6224 votes. Sharad Pawar-888; Rajesh Pilot-354).
Birthday / Anniversary:
- 1894: Purushottam Vishwanath Bapat, internationally famed Pali language expert, translator, and editor was born.
Death / Death Anniversary:
- 1976: Gopinath Kaviraj, Indian philosopher, and scholar (b. 1887)
- 2000: Purushottam Laxman Deshpande, Indian actor, director, and producer (b. 1919)
- 1761: Balaji Bajirao (Nanasaheb), third Peshwa, died after losing in the battle of Panipat. (12 or 23)
1972: D. G. Tendulkar, the historian who had written the autobiography of Mahatma Gandhi, died.
- 1975: Durga Prasad Dhar, former deputy president of Planning Commission, died.
- 1997: Mihir Sen, the long distance swimmer, died.
- 1999: Jalagam Vengal Rao, former Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, died in Hyderabad.