This Day in History on 29th May
On this page, we will list all historical events that have occurred on 29th May. The students can refer them while preparing for all competitive exams and banking exams.
- International Day of United Nations Peacekeepers
- Public holidays in Nigeria
- World Digestive Health Day
1453: With the conquest of Constantinople, the Byzantine Empire fell to the Ottomans.
- 1852: Swedish operatic soprano Jenny Lind concluded a successful concert tour of the U.S. under the management of showman P. T. Barnum.
- 1911: English dramatist W. S. Gilbert of the songwriting duo Gilbert and Sullivan died while saving a young woman from drowning in his lake.
- 1942: Bing Crosby recorded his version of the song “White Christmas“, which went on to become the best-selling single of all time, with over 50 million copies sold.
- 1953: New Zealand mountaineer Edmund Hillary and Nepali-Indian Sherpa mountaineer Tenzing Norgay became the first people to reach the summit of Mount Everest.
- 1658: Dara Shukoh was utterly defeated by Aurangzeb in the battle of Samugarh near Agra.
- 1953: Gandhi ends his 21-day fast, his second for the cause of the ‘untouchables.’
- 1936: Gandhi’s eldest son creates a controversy as he converts to the Muslim faith.
- 1947: Establishment of Indian Standard Institution.
- 1952: The Socialist Party and Krishak Mazdoor Praja Party decide to form a single parliamentary party.
- 1965: Indian Everest team sets a world record by climbing the Everest for the fourth time.
- 1968: Dara Singh becomes the world wrestling champion.
- 1982: Naval Academy at Ezhimala, Kerala, was approved by Union Cabinet.
- 1991: P.V. Narasimha Rao elected President of Congress (I).
Birthday / Anniversary:
- 1906: T. H. White, Indian-English author (d. 1964)
- 1914: Tenzing Norgay, Nepalese-Indian mountaineer (d. 1986)
1905: Sita Ram Surajmal Jajoo, social reformer and politician, was born at Neemuch Cantt, M.P.
- 1953: Ranji Nanan, cricketer (Trinidad off-spinner, 1 Test v Pakistan 1981), was born.
- 1973: Jo Paul Ancheri, Indian Soccer(Football) player, was born in Trichur, Kerala. He was recognised as Indian Player of the Year in 1994.
- 1979: Perminder Singh Sangha, Soccer(Football) player, was born in Oslo, Norway.
Death / Death Anniversary:
1987: Charan Singh, Indian politician, 5th Prime Minister of India (b. 1902)
- 1933: Kishorilal Goswami, famous Hindi novelist, passed away.
- 1972: Prithviraj Kapoor, famous film actor, passed away.
- 1977: Dr. Suniti Kumar Chatterji, president of Sahitya Academy, National Professor and eminent linguist, passed away.