This Day in History on 22 April
On this page, we will list all historical events that have occurred on 22nd April. The students can refer them while preparing for all competitive exams and banking exams.
International Mother Earth Day
- 1622: The Capture of Ormuz by the East India Company ends Portuguese control of Hormuz Island.
- 1921: Subhas Chandra Bose, resigned from Indian Civil Service, and formed South Calcutta Sevak Samiti after returning to India. He was also arrested for carrying our freedom movement.
- 1942: The Telecommunication Training Centre was established at Jabalpur.
- 1958: Admiral R. T. Katari was appointed as the first Indian Chief of the Naval Staff.
- 1994: Chabbildas Mehta sworn in as Gujarat CM.
- 1998: India and Bangladesh resolve to work together to ”root out terrorism”, push bilateral trade and harness river waters of the region.
- 1999: Lok Sabha passes the 1999-2000 general budget through voice vote but without a debate and without amendments.
Birthday / Anniversary:
- 1914: Baldev Raj Chopra, Indian director and producer (d. 2008)
- 1929: Robert Wade-Gery, English diplomat, British High Commissioner
to India (d. 2015)
- 1935: Bhama Srinivasan, Indian-American mathematician and academic
- 1945: Gopalkrishna Gandhi, Indian civil servant and politician, 22nd Governor of West Bengal
- 1812: Dalhousie, governor general of India, was born.
- 1870: Vladimir IIyich Lenin, revolutionary freedom fighter and politician, was born at Simbrisk, Volga.
- 1915: Hem Barua, famous Assami and English litterateur, was born.
- 1923: Babani Sheshagiri Pai, social worker and journalist, was born at Ankola in Karnataka,
Death / Death Anniversary:
- 2013: Lalgudi Jayaraman, Indian violinist and composer (b. 1930)
- 2013: J. S. Verma, Indian judge, 27th Chief Justice of India (b. 1933)
- 1840: James Princes, British research scientist and archeaologist, passed away.
- 1996: Hiteshwar Saikia, chief minister of Assam (1991-96), passed away at the age of 62 years, and Dr. Bhumidhar Barman became new CM.
- 2000: Bhaktavar Lentin (72), former Judge of the Bombay High Court, died