Jal Kranti Abhiyan is being celebrated to consolidate water conservation and management in the country through a holistic and integrated approach involving all stakeholders, making it a mass movement.
The objectives of Jal Kranti Abhiyan are
- Strengthening grass root involvement of all stakeholders including Panchayati Raj Institutions and local bodies in the water security and development schemes
- Encouraging the adoption/utilization of traditional knowledge in water resources conservation and its management;
- To utilize sector level expertise from different levels in government, NGO’s, citizens etc;
- Enhancing livelihood security through water security in rural areas.
Activities undertaken –
1. Jal Gram Yojana, 2. Development of Model Command Area, 3 Pollution abatement, 4. Mass Awareness Programme.
Jal Gram Yojana – Under this two villages in every district) are being selected and an integrated water security plan is prepared to ensure optimum and sustainable utilization of water.
Funding – No separate fund have been allotted and various expenditure will be met from existing schemes of Central/State Governments, such as PMKSY, MGNREGA, RRR of water bodies, AIBP et