APPSC Syllabus & Scheme for Proficiency Test
The APPSC Proficiency Test is a qualifying test named “proficiency in office automation with the usage of computers and associated software”. This test is held by APPSC for appointment to the posts of Junior Assistants, Assistant-Cum-Typists, Senior Stenographers, Junior Stenographers, U.D. Typists, Typists, L.D. Typists etc. and Assistant Section officers, Senior Stenographer, Junior Stenographer and Typist-cum-Assistants.
|The exam duration||30 minutes|
|Maximum Marks||50 Marks|
|Minimum qualifying marks|| 20 – General Category
17.5 Backward Category
|Part #||Name of the Question to be answered||Marks|
|Part A||Example: Typing a letter/passage/paragraph ( about 100-150 words ) in MS-Word||15 Marks|
|Part B||Example: Preparation of a Table/Graph in MS-Excel||10 Marks|
|Part C||Example: Preparation of Power Point Presentations/Slides (Two) on MS-Power Point||10 Marks|
|Part D||Example: Creation and manipulation of data bases.||10 Marks|
|Part E||Example: Displaying the content of E-mail (Inbox)||5 Marks|
Part A – WORD – 15 Marks
- 1. Create and save a document using MS WORD
- a. Deletion of Character, Word, line and block of text
- b. Undo and redo process
- c. Moving, Copying and renaming
- 2. Format the Text document
- a. Character formatting
- b. Paragraph formatting
- c. Page formatting
- 3. Spell check the document
- a. Finding and Replacing of text
- b. Bookmarks and Searching for a Bookmarks
- c. Checking Spelling and Grammar automatically
- d. Checking Spelling and Grammar using Dictionary
- 4. Print the document
- a. Print Preview
- b. Print Dialog box
- 5. Mail Merge in Ms-word
- a. Create main document and data file for mail merging
- b. Merging the files
- c. From letters using mail merging
- d. Mailing labels using mail merging
- 6. Table creation in Ms-word
- a. Create a table in the document
- b. Add row, column to a table
- c. Changing column width and row height.
- d. Merge, split cells of table.
- e. Use formulae in tables.
- f. sorting data in a table.
- g. formatting a table.
- 7. Ability to type on Qwerty key board of
- Computer at a speed of at least equivalent to 30 Words per 1 minute (Lower type writing test)
Part B – EXCEL – 10 Marks
- Create and save a new work book in Excel
- Entering Data into Worksheet
- Editing data of Worksheet
- Formatting the text in the cells
- Formatting the numbers in the cells.
- Formatting cells.
- Copying format of cell along with data format.
- Changing the height and width of cells.
- Freezing Titles, splitting screen
- Enter formulae for calculation in the cells.
- Copying the formula over a range of cells.
- Inserting built-in functions in to the cells.
- Create graphs for the data using Chart Wizard.
- Format graphs in Excel.
- Printing of worksheet.
Part C – Power Point – 10 Marks
- 1. Create and save a new presentation using MS Power Point
- – layout of opening screen in Power Point
- – the tool bars in MS Power Point
- 2. Choose Auto Layout for a new slide.
- 3. Insert text and pictures into a blank slide.
- 4. Insert new slides into the presentation.
- 5. Apply slide transition effects.
- 6. Slide show.
- 7. Set animation to text and pictures in a slide.
- 8. Set the sounds, order and timing for animation.
Part D – Access – 10 Marks
Creation and manipulation of data bases
Part E – Internet – 5 Marks
- Browse the Net using Browser software (Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome etc.,).
- Search the Web using Search Engines.
- Create an E-mail account.
- Send and receive E-mail.
- E-commerce transactions.
- Web content uploading.
- Ability to operate Mac OS / pages / key note / Numbers.