Orissa Staff Selection Commission was started in 1994 in Cuttak. Sri Sarat Chandra Mishra, IPS (Retd.) was appointed as its first Chairman. The commissions office was later moved to Bhubaneswar in the year 2000
It is statutory in the sense that it derives its mandate and authority from the proviso to Article 309 of the Constitution of India, and is set up under the powers conferred under that Article.
The Commission is headed by the Chairman appointed by the Government. The Commission has the following Officers:
- Secretary: The Secretary has administrative and financial powers. He/she represents the Commission in all meetings and reviews, and in all Court cases. He is responsible for carrying out the entire process of conducting the recruitment examinations including setting of question papers, and publishing the results thereof, besides all necessary and associated functions, under supervision of the Chairman. .
- Joint Secretary / Additional Secretary: Joint/Additional Secretary deals with matters relating to all Court and Tribunal orders. Joint Secretary also functions as the D.D.O. of the office in absence of the Under Secretary.
- Under Secretary: Under Secretary is the Officer-in-charge of the stock and stores and official records of the Commission. The Officer deals with all complaints and allegations. All tender and procurement matters are handled by the officer.
- Accounts officer: Accounts Officer is responsible for keeping accounts, timely rendering of accounts and related returns every month.
- Special Officer: Special Officer moves as a flying squad for supervision of examination centres. The officer is in charge of the office maintenance and vehicles, and the record room and the records. All grievance petitions are dealt with by him.
- Two Section Officers, and supporting Assistants:
Odisha Staff Selection Commission,
Barrack No.1, Unit-V, Bhubaneswar – 751054, Orissa
Email: orissassc.@gmail.com(link sends e-mail)