This Day in History on 29th April
The historical events hold a lot of value for aspirants who are sitting for UPSC competitive exams including that of the IAS Exam.
On this page, we will list all historical events that have occurred on 29th April. The students can refer them while preparing for all competitive exams and banking exams.
- International Dance Day (UNESCO)
- 1991: A cyclone strikes the Chittagong district of southeastern Bangladesh with winds of around 155 miles per hour (249 km/h), killing at least 138,000 people and leaving as many as ten million homeless.
- 1945: World War II: The German army in Italy unconditionally surrenders to the Allies.
Birthday / Anniversary:
- 1848: Raja Ravi Varma, Indian painter and academic (d. 1906)
- 1891: Bharathidasan, Indian poet and activist (d. 1964)
- 1936: Zubin Mehta, Indian bassist and conductor
- 1979: Ashish Nehra, Indian cricketer
Death / Death Anniversary:
On 29 April 1979 Great Freedom Fighter of India, Raja Mahendra Pratap Died. Raja Mahendra Pratap
- 1959: Kenneth Arthur Noel Anderson, India-born English soldier and Governor of Gibraltar (b. 1891)
- 2006: John Kenneth Galbraith, Canadian-American economist and diplomat, United States Ambassador to India (b. 1908)
- 1980: Alfred Hitchcock, English-American director and producer (b. 1899)