Launch year: 2007
Launched by (prime minister): Manmohan Singh
Ministry: Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare
- It is launched to enhance the production of Rice, Wheat, Pulses, Coarse Cereals and commercial crops ( Cotton, jute and Sugarcane).
- Targets – Production of rice, wheat and pulses would be increased by 10, 8, 4 million tonnes respectively and Coarse cereals by 3 million tonnes.
- Funding – 50:50 by Centre and State for food crops and 100% centre funding for cash crops.
- It would be implemented through cluster demonstration, distribution of high yield seeds with farm mechanization, &Integrated pest management.
- (Note – National Food Security Act is different from the Mission and the act is administered by the Ministry of Consumer Affairs).