UPSC Combined Geo Scientist and Geologist Exam
Update: The Union Public Service Commission will hold the Combined Geo- Scientist and Geologist Examination, 2017 commencing from 12th May, 2017 for recruitment to the posts of Geologist, Geo-physicist and Chemist Group ‘A’ in the Geological Survey of India and Jr. Hydrogeologist (Scientist ‘B’) Group ‘A’ in the Central Ground Water Board.
|Name of the Exam:||Combined Geo-Scientist and Geologist Exam|
|Name of the Conducting Body:||Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)|
|Mode of Apply:||Only Online. Other mode of applications are not accepted by UPSC|
Eligibility Criteria for Combined Geo-Scientist and Geologist Examination
- Geologist, Group A : Master’s degree in Geological Science or Geology or Applied Geology or Geo-Exploration or Mineral Exploration or Engineering Geology or Marine Geology or Earth Science and Resource Management or Oceanography and Coastal Areas Studies o r Petroleum Geosciences or Petroleum Exploration or Geochemistry or Geological Technology or Geophysical Technology froma University incorporated by an Act of the Central or State Legislature in India or an educational institution established by an Act of Parliament or declared to be deemed university under section 3 of the University Grants Commission Act, 1956 (3 of 1956).
- Geophysicist, Group A : M.Sc. in Physics or Applied Physics or M.Sc. (Geophysics) or Integrated M.Sc. (Exploration Geophysics) or M.Sc (Applied Geophysics) or M.Sc. (Marine Geophysics) Or M.Sc. (Tech.) (Applied Geophysics) from a University incorporated by an Act of Parliament or State Legislature in India or other educational institutes established by an Act of the Parliament or declared to be deemed universities under the University Grants Commission Act, 1956.
- Chemist. Group A : M. Sc. in Chemistry or Applied Chemistry or Analytical Chemistry from a University incorporated by an Act of Parliament or State Legislature or other educational Institutes established by an Act of the Parliament or declared to be deemed Universities under section 3 of the University Grants Commission Act, 1956 i.e. recognized University.
- Junior Hydrogeologists (Scientist B), Group A : Master’s degree in Geology or Applied Geology or Marine Geology from a University incorporated by an Act of the Central or State Legislature in India or other educational Institutes established by an act of Parliament or declared to be deemed as Universities under Section 3 of the University Grants Commission Act, 1956; or Master’s degree in Hydrogeology from a recognized University.
– The Age Limit for Combined Geo-Scientist and Geologist Examination is between 21 to 32 years
– Age relaxation is applicable as per rules.
The examination shall be conducted according to the following Plan :
Part I: Written examination in the subjects as set out in para 2 below.
Part II. Interview for personality Test of such candidates as may be called by the Commission, carrying a maximum of 200 marks.
- Candidates competing for selection to the posts of Geologist, Geophysicist, Chemist and Junior Hydrogeologist will be required to appear in all the subjects mentioned against respective category above.
- Candidates competing for selection for both the posts of Geologist and Jr. Hydrogeologist will be required to appear in all the subjects mentioned against Categories 1 and 4 above.
- If any candidate failed to appear in any one or more of above papers, meant for written examination for selection to the post of Geologist, Geophysicist, Chemist, their candidature shall stand rejected and part of written examination appeared by them shall not be evaluated and counted for any purpose.
Candidates will be selected based on Written examination, Interview/ Personality Test.
– There is no fee for SC / ST/ PH / Female candidates.
– General Candidates have to pay Rs. 200 either by depositing the money in any branch of SBI by cash, or by using net banking facility of State Bank of India/ State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur/ State Bank of Hyderabad/ State Bank of Mysore/ State Bank of Patiala/ State Bank of Travancore or by using any Visa/ Master Credit/ Debit Card.
How to Apply
Eligible candidates may apply online through the website www.upsconline.nic.in(link is external)
UPSC GE Cut-Offs
2016 Combined Geo-Scientist and Geologist Examination, 2016: Click here to view (link is external)
Written Stage: Minimum qualifying standard/marks# secured by the last qualified candidate at written Exam stage called for Personality Test. Marks secured is out of 700 marks. Subject to minimum 15% marks in each paper for General, OBC, SC & ST Candidates and 5% in each paper for PH-1, PH-2 and PH-3 Candidates.
|4||Jr. Hydrogeologists (Scientist-B)||246||—||—||—||—||—|
Final Stage: Minimum qualifying standard/marks secured by the last finally recommended candidate for appointment. Marks secured is out of 900 marks. *Vacancy for ST community has been filled up by a PH-3 category candidate of ST Community.
|4||Jr. Hydrogeologists (Scientist-B)||372||—||—||—||—||—|
Following are the UPSC Combined Geo-Scientist & Geologist Important Links:
http://www.upsconline.nic.in/(link is external)
Official Website: http://www.upsc.gov.in(link is external)
Phone: 011-23381125/011- 23385271/011-23098543