It is a programme to transform India into digital empowered society and knowledge economy.
The scheme is coordinated by the department of Electronics and IT and implemented by all government departments.
The scheme is to be monitored by a Digital India committee comprised of several ministers.
The programme will be implemented in phases from the current year till 2018.
Digital India has three core components. These includes
- The creation of digital infrastructure,
- Delivering services digitally,
- Digital literacy
9 Key points of Digital India Programme are
- Universal Access to Phones
- Broadband Highways
- Public Internet Access Programme
- e-Governance – Reforming government through Technology
- e-Kranti – Electronic delivery of services
- Information for All
- Electronics Manufacturing – Target NET ZERO Imports
- IT for jobs
- Early Harvest Programmes
It is an umbrella programme which includes the hitherto National Optical Fiber Network (NOFN) to connect 2,50,000gram Panchayats by providing internet connectivity to all citizens.
Digital India includes development of an electronic development fund and envisages NetZero Electronics Import Target by 2020.