The Bihar Public Service Commission came into existence from 1st April 1949 after its separation from the Commission for the States of Orissa and Madhya Pradesh, in accordance with sub-section (1) of section 261 of the Government of India Act, 1935, as adapted. Its constitutional status was pronounced with the promulgation of Constitution of India on 26th January, 1950. It is a Constitutional Body under Article 315 of the Constitution of India. The Bihar Public Service Commission initially began its functioning for the State of Bihar with its headquarters at Ranchi. The State Government decided to shift the headquarters of the Commission from Ranchi to Patna and it was finally shifted to Patna on 1st March 1951.
The first Chairman of the Bihar Public Service Commission was Shri Rajandhari Sinha. Shri Radha Krishna Choudhary was the first Secretary to the Commission.
The Mandate of Bihar Public Service Commission:
Article 320 and 321 of the Constitution of India prescribes the mandate of the State Public Service Commissions, which is:
- Recruitment by conduct of Competitive Examinations/ through interviews to the services of the State Government.
- Advising the State Government on the suitability of officers on appointment on promotion as well as transfer from one service to the other.
- Advising the State Government on the matters related with recruitment to various services and posts, framing and amendment of recruitment Rules.
- Advising the State Government in all disciplinary cases relating to different civil services.
- Advising the State Government in the matter of grant of extraordinary pension, reimbursement of legal expenses, etc.
- Advising the State Government on any matter referred to the Commission by the Governor of Bihar.
BPSC Recruitment is made by two methods:
Direct recruitment is made mainly by way of conducting competitive examination in which the selection is done on the basis of either of the following procedures:
- Main (Written) Examination and Interview of the successful candidates of the Preliminary Test prescribed under rules.
- Written Examination and Interview.
Promotion is granted to civil servants through the Departmental Promotion Committee (under the chairmanship of the Commission) constituted for the same and in accordance with the rules framed by the State Government.
Bihar Public Service Commission
15, Jawahar Lal Nehru Marg (Bailey Road),
Patna – 800 001
Phone No : 2504651, 2504652
Fax No : 2505368, 2504584
Website : http://www.bpsc.bih.nic.in